Thank you for signing the petition "Win Full Rent Control in the DTES"!
Please sign up to speak in favour of this motion to Vancouver City Council on Dec 11th or 12th by emailing Speaker.Request@vancouver.ca and cc'ing email@example.com
Sign up to speak now! All you have to do is write to Speaker.Request@vancouver.ca:
"Hello, my name is __________, and I would like to speak to 'Motion 2 - Slowing the Loss of the Last Low Income SROs in Vancouver' of the Dec 10th council meeting agenda."
Please remember to cc' firstname.lastname@example.org
Note you will not be speaking on Dec 10th, but rather on the following days — either Wed Dec 11th or Thurs Dec 12th, 2019. By signing up, the city will let you know when you are speaking.
Tips on speaking to council:
You will have 5 minutes to speak to city council. It is always good to speak from your own experience. Also feel free to draw from the petition points:
- Average rents in privately owned SRO hotels in the DTES have increased by over 20% over the last two years
- The 4,000 tenants living in these SROs are especially vulnerable to rent hikes and evictions, as 85% are living on social assistance or disability
- Right now 180 SRO rooms in the DTES (The Avalon, St. Elmo, Pacific, and Arno) are being sold and marketed as investment opportunities
- Homelessness in Vancouver is at a record high 2,233 people with about 1,200 already sleeping on streets or in shelters in the DTES
- Tying rent control to the unit will remove the incentive for landlords to evict low-income tenants in order to jack the rent two or three times over
- Vancouver city council already said they supported this change in 2017, but no action has been taken
If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com